In 2023, 57-year-old schizophrenic Maria Gonzalez dies from cardiac arrest, incurable pneumonia and brain cancer, Then later, An war with powerful second-coming devil Klokkendosh (who killed Maria Gonzalez) and 41-year-old Robert Fordson has to save the world and win the war.
- Leonardo DiCaprio as Hytalo Valdez, an non-villager innocent Brazilian autistic 15-year-old young adult human who suffered slavery, being punished and insulting alot on 5th grade in 2019.
- Nicolas Cantu as 10-year-old Hytalo Valdez.
- Jaboc Hopkins as 12-year-old Hytalo Valdez.
- Teresa Gallagher as Penny Fitzgerald, an 17-year-old shape-shifting fairy that is dating Hytalo since 2021.
- Ellen Page as Carrie Krueger, a 331-year-old teenage girl ghost that is Darwin Watterson's girlfriend.
- Marion Cotillard as Darwin Watterson, an 15-year-old adopted magical fish with legs.
- Michael Caine as Robert Fordson, an 41-year-old former human that turned into a villager in a machine and he's the main protagonist.
- Tom Hardy as Gumball Watterson, neo-nazi blue cat that was a former innocent.
- Tom Holland as Wilson Hirson.
- Cillian Murphy as Fernando Werson.
- Josh Brolin as Klokkendosh, an 789-year-old second-coming devil that caused the war and wants to take over spirits and dreams.
- Josh Brolin as Patrick Fitzgerald, Penny's father.
- Sean Young as Maria Gonzalez, Robert's deceased mother and died when she had 57 years old in 2022.
- Ana de Armas as 25-year-old Maria Gonzalez.
Villagers premiered on April 5, 2019 at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles, the red carpet events were canceled prior to the screening. It was the opening feature at the Festival du nouveau cinéma in Montreal the following day. It also was premiered in Switzerland at the Zurich Film Festival on April 9, 2019.
Sony Pictures Releasing was the first to release Villagers in theaters, first in France and Belgium on April 10, 2019, then in other countries on the two following days. The film was released by 20th Century Fox in North America on April 12, 2019. In addition to standard 2D and 3D formats, Villagers was released in IMAX theaters. Also, Syncopy partnered with Oculus VR to create and distribute content for the film exclusively for its virtual reality format and launched it alongside the theatrical release of April 12, 2019. That content would later be referred to as Battle of the Villagers.
Due to the popularity and preference of IMAX in 2D (as opposed to 3D) among filmgoers in North America, the film was shown in IMAX theaters in only 2D domestically, but was screened in 3D formats internationally.
The film is rated PG-13 by the Motion Picture Association of America for "horror, disturbing scenes, destruction scenes, violence, some sexuality, nudity, and language".
- The movie was originally going to be a 3-hour movie, but it was scrapped so they had to delete some scenes to put it on a extended cut.
- This film set 3 years before Rayman: The Legend Rises.